Sunday, June 06, 2010

Scoreboard: Me, 0. Mt. biking: 3



It's generally easy to tell when I've been mountain biking a lot--one look at my legs, and you can quickly surmise that I'm not currently in a trail running or road biking phase. For example,






That occurred yesterday. What is that, you ask? MY ROTOR. IT BRANDED MY LEG. Kids, when it's 90 out, and you've just ended a very long descent, and you decide to straddle the back of your bike as you raise your seat back up, STOP AND THINK. Rotors get very, very, very hot. This nice little reminder, will, unfortunately, be with me for a very long time.


But mt. biking kicks my ass in other ways, too. It's kinda like a one-two punch that way. Prior to scalding my leg on my rotor, I was at the top of a tricky section, one that has lots of big rock drop offs, and I've been doing pretty well on this section lately, so I guess you could say I was feeling rather confident. Not so! says mt. biking. BAM. Endo. Before I had time to congratulate myself on clearing the section, I was sprawled face-first in the dirt, on lots of big rocks, mind you, and my bike was dangling upside down in some manzanita a few yards up the hill. My hip and shoulder took that one.





My legs are so SEXY right now. I didn't bother to post the bruises up and down my shins, the ubiquitous poison oak that's pretty much decided to stay permanently around my ankles, or the bruises on my arms and hands.

Let's just say I haven't been strutting around in dresses lately.

But you know what? As soon as my very bruised thigh muscle heals enough to bend properly, I will be right back up on those rocks.

But I'll mind the rotor.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

I thought you got a new tattoo! In fact, I think you should tattoo that rotor mark on your calf, that way you can always fondly recall your mt. biking adventures. Can't wait to see you soon. Bring your running shoes!