Monday, January 25, 2010

Resolutions

I know it's a little late in the game to be posting my New Year's resolutions--but, as I was doing my sit-ups this evening I had this epiphany that I had not yet made my NYRs public. And sometimes, for these types of things, it helps to declare them.

Well, I have a few. Quit smoking! Lose weight!* No, not this year. Actually, one of my resolutions is to be more careful. Less sloppy, you know? I tend to be a bit, shall we say, careless, in pretty much every facet of my life. I kind of float along, and most of the time, things work out. I rarely obsess over details, and I hardly think about the consequences. I am the antithesis of a worrier or someone who could make their living as an accountant. I've had periods of my life where I've cleaned up my act, but my current stage is best described as "not caring."

However, in my current profession, it helps to care. I manage client accounts, and teams of people, and along with that responsibility comes effing details. And, worse, consequences. So, because I've realized it would behoove me to not assume so much at my job, and maybe, just maybe, think through each step a little bit more, I've made that a New Year's resolution this year.

Secondly, I've resolved to get out of Orange County and Southern California. This is not California, BTW. Southern California might as well be its own country, with its own people and lifestyle, and culture and way of living. When I decided to move back to California last year, I should have been more specific. Hence, Resolution #1 (see above). Think through things.

It's not a resolution, but in an effort to keep my head above water, in my current dark spiral,** I've vowed to be more positive about my life. I could write paragraphs upon paragraphs about my distaste for this part of California, but really, that would be dwelling on the negative. So I'll stick to my positive disposition, however feigned at times, and not go into all of the specifics about this place they call Orange County.

Anyhow, what was this post supposed to be about? Oh, yes. Resolutions. Well, I'm renewing another resolution I had last year, so that's positive, right? Last year, I vowed to do sit-ups multiple times during the week, and for the most part, I stuck with it. So, I thought, that would be a good one to renew. I think having a stronger core helps my mountain biking, and it's nice to have some tonage in that white space of a stomach I have, so I'll place a renewed stamp on it and call it resolution #3.



* Don't have a heart attack, mom. I don't smoke, so I don't have a resolution saying I should quit.

** Well, that too is another post. I'll get to that one later on. Preferably when I'm in my "not sobbing" stage. Here's a preview: Age 29. The Lost Year. (Thanks go out to my sister for naming this life-stage crisis. It's nice to have a name for things sometimes.)

No comments: