Thursday, July 02, 2009

I need friends.

I'm settling into my new job, and it's been quite enjoyable so far. I like the work atmosphere, and they've kept me busy with multiple projects. The problem starts when the work day ends...

This is certainly not the first time I've moved to a new place and have had to start over. I have filled out more change of address forms than I care to admit. But I'm learning that my capacity to start over has diminished; with every move, I feel more attached to the people I left behind, and I'm I realizing it's harder to find the energy to put myself out there again. I'm tired of being new in town. It's no longer the adventure it once was.

I'm planning on going on a group ride tomorrow, which I'm quite looking forward to. Typically, I've created my social circles around those whom I've met riding or running, so it's been a convenient way to meet people. I guess I'm just feeling impatient at the moment. Building friendships takes time, energy, and many shared miles.

Fortunately, The Tour starts this weekend. Le Tour will be my closest companion for the next month, so that's reassuring. But after Contador, hopefully, has safely won, I'll have to scrape myself off, remind my heart it's okay to move on, and make new friends here.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

someone's getting older....