Friday, May 29, 2009

Notes from the road.
















I'm on day three of my four-day drive across the country. As you can see from the pictures, it hasn't been overly remarkable. I've been pacing my drive by only going 9-10 hours a day--I definitely don't fall into the "road warrior" or "long-haul trucker" categories. The truth is, I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to sitting for long amounts of time, so I won't be able to share any stories with you about a 20-hour stretch that I put in, fueled entirely by Red Bull and Fritos. The reality is, I stop every few hours, stretch my legs, and munch on hummus and bread that I have stored in my cooler.






So far, this has been my progression:



Day 1: Greensboro to Jackson, TN.


Day 2: Jackson, TN to Clinton, OK.


Day 3: Clinton, OK to Winslow, AZ.



The thought of sitting right now makes me feel slightly nauseated. My ass seriously, seriously hurts. And I haven't had any epiphanies, or road-trip breakthroughs, in case you're wondering. My many hours of solace have been filled with my stereo blasting out a shuffle selection from my iPod. If anything, I'll probably lose a few IQ points when this trip is all said and done.




Mae has been an awesome companion, as you can see in the photos. She sleeps most of the time. Today, for the first time, her road trip resolve cracked, just a bit, when she didn't want to get back in the car at a rest stop. I had to pick her up and stuff her back in.



Leaving NC was very difficult. I walked away from a relationship with a man whom I truly loved. Unfortunately, we both have very strong ideas about where we want to live, and I don't see either of us changing our minds. I don't want to be in the South, and he doesn't want to be on the West Coast, so we had to end a perfectly good fulfilling friendship and relationship. I think we'll both carry around bruised hearts for some time.





I kept thinking that I would write a long post about my time in NC--kind of wrap it all up, you know? But I realized this blog has been my NC journal; I started it right after I moved there, and it contains far too much to cover with a Cliff Notes-type summary. But I will say this: I'm so glad I moved out there. I didn't know what to expect. I didn't know a soul there, and I didn't know if I would stay indefinitely or go straight back to California. I think I grew up a lot out there. It was, above all, an adventure.





And now, I'm getting ready to start the next chapter.

No comments: