Friday, May 25, 2007

Home Owner


Oh, my gosh. I bought a house yesterday. Well, I've started the process. Earnest money is down, offer to purchase is signed, now I await home inspections. So, like a woman who's just found out she's pregnant, I don't want to shout from the rooftops just yet, because it's not a 100% victory, but the ball is rolling.
I changed my mind on a townhome/condo, and decided that I can live with having a lawn to mow and flowers to tend to. I realized that re-sell and overall value is much better with a house, and the added bonus is that I won't have shared walls with neighbors.
Here's the best part (I almost hesitate to get too excited, in case the house falls through, but I'll say it anyway), I LOVE the house. I love the neighborhood, the location, and the fact that I have a little front porch. The house is old, built in 1947, which adds to its charm. Instead of a plastic-y interior, I have curved archways, a coal-burning fireplace, and a cozy attic that has been converted to a bedroom. I will adorn the porch with red and yellow Adirondack chairs, and my front windows will have flower boxes bearing geraniums.
There are so many things that I'm excited about that I've forfeited sleep this past week. Instead, I lay in bed thinking about decorating and painting and hosting dinner parties. I never thought I'd be so domestic. But, I guess when it's yours, really yours, the perspective changes.
I'm planning on getting a roommate, in the form of a dog. I've wanted a dog for so long, but because I've been renting and moving so frequently since, well, college, I haven't been able to have one. I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I've picked out potential boy and girl dog names. That's how excited I am.
I'll post more pictures as the process unfolds.

No comments: